How Can a Smart Home Help You Save Money?
Many homeowners are making the transition to a smart home equipped with advanced automation technology for the convenience — you no longer need to worry about getting up in the middle of the night to adjust the thermostat or run back home because you forgot to lock the door or turn the lights off before leaving for work.
But you might not know that a smart home also offers a variety of cost-saving benefits. While it’s true that implementing smart technology will require an upfront expenditure, most homeowners will be able to recoup their investment relatively quickly in the form of lower costs. Here are several examples of the ways that a smart home can help you save money:
- Reduced heating and cooling bills: The cost of heating and cooling is one of the biggest household expenses. Installing a programmable thermostat that can automatically adjust the temperature to the desired level can reduce your heating and cooling costs by as much as 25 percent. Your HVAC unit will operate more efficiently, which can also contribute to lower energy costs.
- Saving electricity: Leaving lights on in unoccupied rooms or forgetting to turn them off when leaving home wastes electricity. Smart lighting that includes the use of energy-efficient LED light bulbs and sensors that provide alerts via email if you forget to turn the lights off when exiting a room could save you hundreds of dollars per year. You can also operate your home’s lighting remotely with your smartphone.
- Monitoring power consumption: Smart home apps are available that provide detailed data regarding how much power you’re using and patterns of consumption. You’ll be able to identify areas where you might be wasting power and make modifications that can help you save money.
- Preventing package theft: Do you order a lot of products online? Many thieves discreetly follow delivery drivers as they make their rounds — and steal the unattended packages that are left on porches. With smart door locks, you can unlock the door remotely to allow the driver to place the package inside your home, then lock it when the driver leaves. You can also install smart doorbells to enable you to view and record what’s happening on your porch and in front of your home.
- Lower homeowner’s insurance premiums: From an insurance company’s perspective, the additional safety and security provided by smart home technology reduces its risk — there is less chance of a break-in or significant damage caused by an unattended HVAC system or home appliance. Depending on the insurer, you could receive as much as a 15-percent reduction in your insurance premium.
Contact Titan Alarm to Learn More About Smart Home Cost Savings
If you reside in the Phoenix or Tucson, AZ area, Titan Alarm, Inc. can help you explore the cost-saving benefits of transforming your house into a smart home. For more than a decade, we’ve been helping homeowners take advantage of the latest security technologies to make their homes safer — and save money in the process. Contact us for more information and to schedule a free in-home consultation today.
Learn More About Smart Home Technology
- Home Automation Vs Home Security
- How Do Smart Homes Work?
- How Smart Homes Can Benefit Special Needs Caregivers
Updated by Titan Alarm on November 5, 2018.