Your Master Checklist for What to Remember When You Move
Congratulations! You’ve decided to make the move to Maricopa County, Arizona, one of the most beautiful and fastest-growing regions in the United States. Maricopa County cities such as Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe and Surprise have so much to offer in terms of career, lifestyle, recreation and more.
However, moving to any brand-new city poses a number of challenges – there are so many details that are easy to overlook. In this post, we have provided a master checklist for what you need to do when you move to make the entire process go as smoothly and seamlessly as possible.
Six Weeks Prior to Moving Day
Advance planning is the key to a successful, stress-free move. You should begin process at a minimum of six weeks prior to moving day by taking the following steps:
- Unless you are planning a do-it-yourself move, contact several moving companies for estimates
- Starting packing items you want to take with you but aren’t planning to use over the next six weeks
- Plan a garage sale for items you won’t be taking with you
- Contact insurance agents about changing your home and auto coverage
- Make a list of individuals/companies you need to notify regarding your change of address
Four Weeks Prior to Moving Day
- Contact the mover you’ve selected to obtain an itemized list of moving expenses
- Schedule a packing day with your mover
- Contact your current and new utility companies to make arrangements for connecting/disconnecting service
- Make arrangements to move your pets and plants if applicable
- Contact a security alarm system provider in your new city to discuss your home security needs
Three Weeks Prior to Moving Day
- Gather all essential financial documents, deeds, insurance policies, etc.
- Make travel arrangements for you and your family
- Close out your bank accounts and open new ones in Maricopa County
Two Weeks Prior to Moving Day
- Have vehicles serviced in preparation for the trip to your new home
- Contact all current home delivery companies about terminating delivery
- Schedule the disconnection of any appliances
One Week Prior to Moving Day
- Transfer/withdraw bank funds
- Set aside any cartons containing clothing and other items you will need during the move
- Make sure all medical prescriptions are refilled
- Make arrangements for child/pet care during the move
- Prepare a package of items you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home
- Walk through your old home prior to leaving to make sure nothing has been missed
- Record all utility meter readings
- Make sure the moving van driver has directions to your new home, as well as your cellphone number
- Review and sign the bill of lading
- Lock all doors and windows and drop off the house keys at the prearranged location – real estate agent’s office, neighbor, etc.
Who Should I Contact if I Need a Security System Installed for My New Home?
Titan Alarm Inc. can help you with your home security needs in Maricopa County. Give us a call about four to six weeks prior to your move to discuss your home security system options!
Learn More About Home Security
- How To Keep Your Aging Family Members Safe
- How To Make Sure Your Garage Is Safe
- How To Properly Secure Windows
- How To Protect Your Home Security System
Updated by Titan Alarm on November 5, 2018.