Moving Checklist: Fire Safety & Home Security
There’s a lot to think about when moving into a new home, and one of the most important elements is your new home’s security. However, with all the attention on the details such as hiring a moving company and packing up your belongings, you might not have time to think about it.
The following checklist provides tips for new homeowners that cover many of the home safety and security essentials:
- Exterior doors: All your exterior doors should have high-quality deadbolt locks. It’s also a good idea to have the locks changed — you never know if there are extra keys to the existing locks still floating around. If your new home has sliding glass doors, make sure they are equipped with at least one of the following: insertion pin lock, track lock, hinged door bar, wooden or metal dowel in the door track.
- Garage door: One of the most important tips for home security is to ensure your new home’s overhead garage door is equipped with an automatic opener, as this can prevent intruders from gaining access. Also be certain the main door as well as the door that leads from the garage into your home have top-quality deadbolt locks.
- Windows: Unlocked windows are a favorite entry point for burglars. Another essential security tip for new homebuyers is to make sure all windows are equipped with keyed locks. Also be certain the keys are easily accessible in case of an emergency.
- Lighting: Your home’s front entrance should have sufficient lighting to allow you to easily identify nighttime visitors. Floodlights or motion sensor-controlled exterior lighting are an extremely effective intruder deterrent. Equipping the interior of your home with smart lighting technology that allows you to automatically turn the lights on and off at predetermined intervals is another reliable home security measure.
- Fire safety: Perhaps the most critical safety tip for home security is making sure your fire and smoke detection equipment is in good working order. You should have smoke detectors installed in the kitchen, hallways near bedrooms, at the top of all stairways and inside the garage. Additionally, place fire extinguishers in the kitchen, basement and garage. Another key safety feature is a monitored fire alarm system that will provide an immediate alert to first responders.
- Home security system: One last important tip for new homebuyers: If your new home has an outdated security system — or no security system at all — strongly consider having one installed before you move in. A state-of-the-art security system should include features such as strategically placed high-tech video surveillance cameras, motion sensors, access control devices and energy management solutions. Integrating these features with the implementation of smart technology allows you to control and monitor your security system on a 24/7 basis via smartphone app.
We’re Here to Assist You With Your Home Security
If you’re planning to move to the Phoenix, AZ area, Titan Alarm can handle all your home security needs. We offer a wide selection of security cameras, motion detectors, fire alarms and other security essentials. Contact us for more valuable moving tips for new house buyers and to schedule a no-obligation security consultation.
Learn More About Home Security
- How To Properly Secure Windows
- How To Protect Your Home Security System
- How To Stay Safe In Tucson
- How To Update Your New Home’s Security System
Updated by Titan Alarm on November 5, 2018.