How to Install & Maintain a Home Security System
There’s no question that home security systems minimize the risk of a break-in — according to FBI crime statistics, burglars are 2.7 times more likely to target homes without home alarms. However, there are several common home security mistakes many homeowners make that can limit the system’s effectiveness. Here are some tips for installing a home security system that will maximize its performance and ensure your family and property are fully protected:
- Position Control Panels Correctly
The most common of all home security system mistakes is placing the control panel, which serves as the system’s “nerve center,” too close to an entrance. This enables a burglar to locate and disable it immediately, rendering your house alarm virtually useless. You’ll want your system’s control panel in a location that’s far enough away from an entrance, but that will still give you enough time to leave your house once it’s set.
- Use the Automatic Message System
Some homeowners choose a house alarm system that emits an audible alarm, thinking that the noise will cause the intruder to flee. However, a seasoned burglar will likely know how to disable the house alarm or will simply ignore it. A monitored silent alarm that transmits an automated message to trained security professionals who can immediately notify first responders offers a more effective alternative.
- Protect Less Obvious Access Points
Thieves don’t always come in through the front or back door. An experienced burglar will “case” your home for several days to find less obvious entry points such as second-floor or basement windows. Many homeowners fail to protect these vulnerable areas with devices such as surveillance cameras or motion sensors.
- Assess Unique Needs and Lifestyle
There are plenty of security system features to choose from these days. It’s important to select the features that meet your unique security needs and lifestyle requirements. For example, if you travel frequently, a home alarm system equipped with home automation that allows you to turn lights on and off, lock and unlock doors and view video camera feeds from any remote location with your mobile device is a virtual necessity.
- Ensure Proper DIY Installation
Some homeowners attempt to save money by installing the system themselves. One of the biggest home security system mistakes is not following the instructions to the letter during setup. Even one missed step or improper setting can jeopardize the performance of the entire system. That’s why it is usually ideal to hire trained professionals to handle the installation.
- Hire the Right Security System Installer
If you choose to have your system professionally installed, it is important to choose a company that is familiar with and has extensive experience in setting up your type of system. You should also choose a local provider with a solid reputation within your community.
Contact Titan Alarm, Inc. for More Useful Home Security Tips
Titan Alarm is a leading home security system solutions provider in the Phoenix, AZ area. We can design and install a customized security system that will meet your needs and fit your budget. Contact us for more valuable tips for installing a home security system and to schedule a free in-home security consultation today.
Tips for Maintaining Your Home Security System
While installing a home security system is an important step for providing essential fire and theft prevention on your property and keeping your family safe, it offers little value if it isn’t working properly. Regular home security maintenance is necessary for ensuring your system remains in peak operating condition — and that it won’t let you down when you need it the most.
The best security system maintenance practices entail a combination of self-administered checks and professional inspection and testing.
DIY Tips for Maintaining Home Security Systems
Depending on the age of your system, you should perform a series of self-checks at least every three to six months. Your inspection should include:
- Smoke detectors: Many home smoke detectors are equipped with a built-in button you can press to test the alarm. You’ll be able to tell immediately if the detector is working properly and if a battery replacement is in order.
- Surveillance cameras: If your home security system includes surveillance cameras, check their positioning and power supply. Also, make sure all associated video recording devices are functioning appropriately.
- Exterior lighting: Check your exterior/perimeter security lighting at night to make sure they are positioned properly and to determine whether any bulbs or fixtures need replacing.
- Motion sensors: Test your motion sensors to be sure they will detect the presence of an intruder and trigger the appropriate alarm.
- Control panel: The control panel for many home security systems includes a test mode that enables you to perform a self-diagnostic check to verify everything is functioning properly. If your system includes remote monitoring, you may need to notify your monitoring service prior to conducting the test to avoid triggering a false alarm.
Professional Security System Maintenance
It is also important to have your system professionally maintained at least once a year. This includes a thorough inspection and testing of the control panel and all connected components by a certified installer. A professional inspection company can perform a comprehensive alarm maintenance check and conduct any necessary troubleshooting steps.
Additionally, inspection and testing will reveal any hidden issues that may require more extensive repair work or the replacement of specific system components or devices. Your homeowner’s insurance provider may also require an annual inspection to allow you to maintain a premium discount for installing a home security system.
Titan Alarm, Inc. Provides Professional Home Security Maintenance Service in Phoenix, AZ
If you live in the Phoenix, AZ area, you can count on the professionals at Titan Alarm, Inc., for all your security system maintenance needs. In addition to offering reliable security system design and installation services, we can test and calibrate your system and perform any needed repairs. Our alarm maintenance contracts provide a cost-effective way to meet your maintenance requirements, while removing the burden from your shoulders. Our testing services can also help you maintain compliance with the local fire codes in Phoenix and Maricopa County.
Contact us for information about our maintenance contracts or to schedule a no-obligation in-home security consultation today.
Learn More About Home Security
- Best Places To Live In Maricopa County
- Daytime Home Security Tips
- DIY Home Improvement Tips
- East Coast To West Coast Moving Guide
Updated by Titan Alarm on November 5, 2018.