Choosing a Hood Cleaning Service for Your Restaurant
Any restaurant owner understands the importance of regular range hood cleaning as part of the establishment’s maintenance program. Keeping the hood and connected ductwork clean is essential for staying compliant with all national, state and local safety standards — a dirty hood will undoubtedly attract some unwanted attention from your friendly neighborhood health inspector.
Dirty hoods that have accumulated layers of grease can also pose an additional fire hazard that you don’t need — you already have enough to worry about with the fire-related risks that come with cooking and food preparation. Regular cleaning will help to prevent grease fires and improve the air quality in your kitchen.
How Often Should You Clean Your Hood?
According to the National Fire Protection Association’s most recent guidelines for commercial cooking operations, the appropriate frequency of your restaurant’s hood cleaning depends on usage and the volume of cooking you do. They recommend:
- Monthly: For range hood systems in solid fuel operations
- Quarterly: For systems that serve high-volume restaurants, like 24/7 diners
- Semi-annually: For systems in cooking operations with moderate-volume
- Annually: For systems in low-volume operations
What to Look for in a Hood Cleaning Service
Using a qualified, experienced professional hood and duct cleaning service can ensure your hood system remains in peak operating condition and will also significantly reduce your fire risk. But not all hood services are created equal — to find a reputable company in your area, start by checking with some of your fellow restauranteurs for recommendations.
You should also seek satisfactory answers to the following questions:
- How long has the company been in business in the area? A local company will understand all applicable fire codes, safety requirements, etc.
- What professional certifications does the company have?
- What are some of the other restaurants in the area that the company serves?
- What documentation does the company provide? A reputable hood cleaning company will furnish a detailed service report after completing the job.
If it’s time for a restaurant hood upgrade in Phoenix, Mesa, or Tucson, AZ, Titan Alarm can provide a state-of-the-art system specifically designed for your establishment. Contact us to learn more today.
Learn More About Kitchen Hood Systems
Updated by Titan Alarm on November 5, 2018.