Planning to head out for the holidays? The holidays are meant for having fun and enjoying time with your family — not worrying about whether your home is safe and secure while you’re away. Taking a little extra time to prepare prior to embarking on that long-awaited trip can ensure that you won’t return to an unpleasant situation.
Following these home safety tips while on your holiday vacation can minimize your risk.
- Have someone watch your home while you’re away: Enlist the help of someone you trust — a neighbor, friend or relative — to keep an eye on things. Have the person stop by to take in your mail and newspapers, feed your pets, water the plants, etc. This will make the home look lived in, which can be an effective deterrent to burglars.
- Notify the police: Let your local police department know if you plan to be away for a week or more. Depending on where you live and the availability of police coverage in your area, it’s possible that a cruiser could pass by on a regular basis during routine patrols.
- Control the lights: Lights that continuously remain on or off are a telltale sign to burglars that a home is unoccupied. Consider installing a light switch timer that automatically turns lights on and off at predetermined intervals.
- Unplug appliances: Unplug household appliances such as televisions, computers, coffee pots and microwave ovens, as this will protect them against power surges and prevent a needless use of electricity while you’re gone.
- Stop deliveries: If you’re unable to arrange for someone to stop by while you’re away, contact the post office, local newspaper office and other service providers to have them stop deliveries until you return. A pile of newspapers on the front porch is like a billboard that broadcasts a clear message that no one is home.
- Keep up the lawn and landscaping: If you’re going on an extended trip, your “leaving home” checklist should include arranging to have your lawn cut and your landscaping maintained. An overgrown lawn is another sign of an empty house to a burglar.
- Don’t broadcast your trip to the world: While you may be tempted to tell everyone that you’re about to go on a fantastic trip, plastering the news all over social media can be like sending an invitation to criminals to break into your home. Wait until you get back to make your friends jealous by posting all your fabulous vacation photos on Facebook!
Consider Installing a Home Security System
If you’ve been thinking of installing a home security system, there’s no better time than just before you go on your holiday vacation. If you live in the Phoenix area, Titan Alarm, Inc. can install an innovative security system featuring smart technology and home automation. You’ll be able to monitor your home and even control the lights and security cameras with your smartphone or tablet while you’re away.
Contact us for more home safety tips and to schedule a no-obligation security consultation today!
Learn More About Smart Home Technology
- Best Smart Home Technology
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning And How To Prevent It
- Dispelling The Myths Regarding Smart Home Technology
Updated by Titan Alarm on November 5, 2018.